The grant is part of the Ministry of Education’s drive to boost social science research and is the first major grant programme dedicated to supporting social science and humanities research in Singapore.
12 projects are selected for the inaugural grant out of a total of 70 proposals received from seven institutions.
The two ISEAS’ research projects to be funded by the SSRTG are:
- Christianity in Southeast Asia: Comparative Growth, Politics and Networks in Urban Centres by Dr Terence Chong, Senior Fellow and Head, Nalanda – Sriwijaya Centre
- Singapore’s Islamic Studies Graduates: Their Role and Impact in a Plural Society by Dr Norshahril Saat, Fellow, Regional Strategic and Political Studies Programme
To read the official press release, click here.
1. Berita Harian, 5 May 2017: Penyelidik Iseas dan NUS bakal jalankan kajian ke atas pelajar ukhrawi
2. The Straits Times, 28 April 2017: $8.5m study to learn how pre-schoolers develop
3. Berita Mediacorp, 27 April 2017: Kajian mendalam 3 tahun mengenai fahaman, amalan asatizah S’pura akan dijalankan (Three-year study about the educational background of Singapore religious elites)
4. Channel NewsAsia, 27 April 2017: S$21 million awarded to 12 research projects on issues affecting Singapore society
5. The Straits Times, 27 April 2017: $21 million in grants awarded for 12 research projects on Singapore society, identity