A collection of commentaries and analyses by ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute researchers and other experts on 50 years of ASEAN.
Contemporary Southeast Asia V39/2 August 2017
To mark ASEAN’s 50th anniversary, the Contemporary Southeast Asia Vol. 39/2 (August 2017) has released a special article titled ‘Roundtable: ASEAN at 50 and Beyond’. This article features eight prominent scholars and senior policy practitioners assessing and reviewing the organization’s successes and failures as well as charting its growth and future development.
1. Roundtable: ASEAN at Fifty and Beyond, by R.M. Marty M. Natalegawa, Tang Siew Mun, Walter Woon Cheong Ming, John Ciorciari, Tan See Seng, Nick Bisley, Amitav Acharya, Donald K Emmerson, authors
A series of commentaries in collaboration with TODAY to mark the 50th anniversary of Asean in the month of August 2017
1. “Asean Economic Community a solid pathway to prosperity” – An Op-Ed by Tham Siew Yean (7 August 2017)
2. “Asean’s decent track record in working for the common good” – An Op-Ed by Moe Thuzar (9 August 2017)
3. “EU no role model, but holds lessons for Asean” – An Op-Ed by Hoang Thi Ha (11 August 2017)
4. “Asean centrality is meaningless if group lacks trust of others” – An Op-Ed by Tang Siew Mun and Jason Salim (15 August 2017)
5. “The promise and perils of democratising Asean” – An Op-Ed by Moe Thuzar and Nur Aziemah Aziz (17 August 2017)
6. “The Asean Charter: Evolutionary or revolutionary?””- An Op-Ed by Termsak Chalermpalanupap (19 August 2017)
7. “How can RCEP benefit Asean?” – An Op-Ed by Sanchita Basu Das and Pham Thi Phuong Thao in TODAY (25 August 2017)