Digital Disruptions – Welcome Remarks and Panel I: Social Impacts & Disruption of Digital Economy
ISEAS-LIPI JOINT WEBINAR
About the Conference
This Webinar Conference explores the impacts of digital technology and how it has transformed the social as well as cultural aspects in Indonesia. With the increased penetration of digital technology into the lives of many Indonesians, the practices and expression of Indonesian culture, politics and economy had become inseparable from the digital world. In spite of that, exposure to these technologies is still very much uneven and highly contingent on the availability of suitable Information, Communication and Technology infrastructure (ICT) in the area. In the case of Indonesia, access to these technologies is still largely dominated by those who live in the urban regions which exacerbate existing social and economic inequalities. Apart from that, the introduction of digital technologies had led to misuse, resulting in other adverse impacts towards existing social and cultural problems. This Webinar Conference will elaborate on several issues in regard to digital disruption in Indonesia – How do digital technologies disrupt various aspects (religious norms, human relationship, cultural expression, state, and society) of Indonesian society? How do digital technologies’ specifically play a role in shaping Indonesia’s contemporary social and cultural practices? And lastly, how do Indonesians utilize digital technologies to have more relevance with local contexts in the future.
Click here for more information about the Conference.
Welcome Remarks — 10.15 am–10.45 am SGT / 9.15 am–9.45 am WIB
Mr Choi Shing Kwok, Director and CEO, ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute
Prof Dr Tri Nuke Pujiastuti, Deputy for Social Sciences, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI)
Panel I: Social Impacts and Disruption of Digital Economy — 10.45 am–12.45 pm SGT / 9.45 am–11.45 am WIB
This session will focus on the social impacts and disruptions that emerge from the prominence of Indonesia’s digital economy, looking at both the increased access to economic opportunities as well as the potential risks of economic inequality and exploitation, with the proliferation of the digital economy.
- Dr Amalinda Savirani and Mr Warih Aji Pamungkas, Department of Politics and Government, Universitas Gadjah Mada, “’Algorithm Bias’ and decent worker’s right: Gojek’s driver in Yogyakarta.”
- Mr Manggi Habir, Regional Economic Studies Programme, ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, “Pandemic Benefiting Indonesia’s Fintechs.”
- Dr Zamroni Salim, Economics Research Center, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2E-LIPI), “The Impacts of Disruptive Digital Economy to Market Access and Competition in Indonesia.”
- Mr Gutomo Bayu Aji, Mr Anggi Afriansyah, and Dr Andy Ahmad Zaelany, Research Center for Population, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (P2K-LIPI), “Reorganization of VET in Indonesia: From ‘public-conventional’ to ‘private-digital’ during the Covid-19 pandemic.”
Moderator: Dr Siwage Dharma Negara, Senior Fellow and Co-coordinator, Indonesia Studies Programme, ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute
This webinar will be delivered online entirely. You can join the webinar at the specified date and time using devices (computer, phone, or tablet) with internet connection.
Please register here to receive your unique link for joining the webinar.
Limited spaces only, register early to avoid disappointment.
To join the webinar,
1. Install the Zoom client onto your computer or download the app on your mobile device.
2. Click on the unique link in your email.
If you have questions for the speaker, please key in your questions via the Q&A, stating your name and affiliation. The moderator will field them to the speaker during the Q&A session.