ASEAN GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP 2020/2021
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute invites outstanding Southeast Asian postdoctoral or eligible PhD candidates undertaking research on ASEAN and Southeast Asia to apply for the ASEAN Graduate Fellowship at the ASEAN Studies Centre.
This programme seeks to encourage and develop ASEAN Studies and contribute towards better regional understanding of the ASEAN Community. Successful applicants will receive access to ISEAS expertise and material resources, as well as an institutional home to tap into other Singapore-based resources.
ASEAN Graduate Fellows will receive institutional and funding support of between six (6) months to twelve (12) months depending on the fellowship duration.
- The Fellowship is open to postdoctoral candidates who have recently completed their PhD or PhD candidates due to defend their thesis.
- The Fellowship is open to Southeast Asian nationals.
- Candidates’ PhD research topics must be related to at least one of the following themes and issues:
- – ASEAN regional integration
- – ASEAN’s external relations
- – ASEAN norms, structure, processes and conventions
- – ASEAN institutional development and governance
- – ASEAN’s legal order
- – ASEAN Community-Building
- – Regional architecture (economic, political and security)
- – Studies involving more than 2 ASEAN member states
- – Comparative studies of ASEAN member states
- Candidates should be fluent in written and spoken English.
Fellows will be provided with a fixed monthly stipend and allowances for the duration of the Fellowship, as well as access to a workstation, computing and printing facilities, ISEAS Library and other ISEAS facilities. Non-Singapore citizens/Singapore Permanent Residents will be provided a return economy class airfare from selected regional airports to Singapore.
Expected Outputs and Publication Opportunities
ASEAN Graduate Fellows are required to convert their PhD thesis into publishable material (for example, journal articles or a book), deliver seminars based on their thesis during their tenure at ISEAS, and assist with an academic roundtable.
All applicants must submit the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter of recommendation
- A one-chapter-long writing sample from your PhD thesis
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to undergo an interview via teleconference, or by other means as established by ISEAS.
Please note that all application materials must be submitted in English. If any of these materials are not in English, an official English translation must be provided in addition to the original documents.
Applications should be submitted via Careers@Gov.
Alternatively, please email your application to email@example.com with the subject heading “ASEAN Graduate Fellowship 2020/2021 Application”.
All applications should be submitted by the deadline of 30 September 2020.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme honours Professor Wang Gungwu, former Chairman of the Board of Trustees at ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute (ISEAS) for his distinguished tenure of 17 years and for his key contributions in nurturing a strong culture of research excellence at ISEAS.
The programme aims to nurture the next generation of scholars and policymakers who seek to explore the nexus of big-power relations and its impact on Southeast Asia. The programme is open to pre- and postdoctoral candidates and mid-career policymakers. Visiting Fellows will be expected to conduct policy-relevant research in the following priority areas:
- Developments in US-China relations and their impact on Southeast Asia
- Asia Pacific security issues (i.e. South China Sea, China-ASEAN relations)
- Rise of China and its impact on Southeast Asian communities
- Use of digital media and technology by major powers to shape perceptions and interests in Southeast Asian countries
- Progress and prospects of global economic cooperation initiatives like the Belt and Road Initiative and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
Download info sheet here.
Fellowships may be for a minimum of two months up to a period of six months. Successful applicants are expected to be in residence at ISEAS for the duration of their fellowship.
Expected Outputs and Publication Opportunities
Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows (WGWVF) are required to contribute to ISEAS Perspective and Fulcrum publications in the areas of their research and give an in-house seminar on their research findings during their fellowship at ISEAS. As WGWVF, researchers will be part of a network of regional scholars and are welcomed to contribute to ISEAS after their fellowship.
Stipend and Benefits
- The Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme offers successful applicants a fixed monthly stipend (inclusive of a housing subsidy) for the duration of their fellowship at ISEAS and a round-trip economy airfare between their home base and Singapore.
- As a Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellow, you will be invited to a meeting with Professor Wang Gungwu during the duration of your fellowship.
- Successful applicants will enjoy access to office space, computer equipment and IT services, ISEAS Library, and all other facilities at ISEAS.
- Proposals for partial/full cost-sharing will also be considered.
Applications for the 2023 intake will be open from May to July 2022. Applicants must submit:
- Cover Letter
- Research Statement (3 pages, double spaced) addressing:
- Area of research, research methodology, timeline, and expected outputs
- Duration of fellowship in residence at ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute
- Two Reference Letters
- Proposal for partial/full cost-sharing (if applicable)
This programme is intended for pre- and post-doctoral research fellows and mid-career policymakers. For mid-career policymakers, we welcome applicants who may not have a PhD or equivalent degree, provided that their CV/Resume can ascertain an appropriate level of professional experience and research interest.
Apply Now – 2023 intake application is now closed. Please look out for the Call for Application for 2024.
Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject heading:
Application for the Wang Gungwu Visiting Fellows Programme
Or mail to:
Assistant Director, Development
ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute
30 Heng Mui Keng Terrace