- Deputy Chief Executive Officer , ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute
- Director, Research Division , ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute
- Head , Temasek History Research Centre
- Head , Archaeology Unit
- Regional Social and Cultural Studies Programme
Christianity and culture; religiosity and identity; Chinese in CLMV countries; multiculturalism and ethnic management
Terence is a sociologist with a PhD from the University of Warwick, UK. His interests include religious developments in Southeast Asia; new Chinese immigrants in CLMV countries, and politics and multiculturalism in Singapore. Chong has won several research grants, including the inaugural Social Science Research Thematic Grant in 2016.
Terence has published in numerous peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Contemporary Asia, Critical Asian Studies, Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, Modern Asian Studies and Asian Studies Review. He also sits on advisory panels in the National Heritage Board and the National Arts Council.
- Christianity in Southeast Asia
- 2020. (ed.) Navigating Differences: Integration in Singapore. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2019 (edited with Michael Montesano and Mark Heng) After the Coup: The National Council for Peace and Order Era and the Future of Thailand. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2018 (ed.) Pentecostal Megachurches in Southeast Asia. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2013 (co-author) Different Under God: A Survey of Church-going Protestants in Singapore. ISEAS