- Deputy Chief Executive Officer , ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute
- Director, Research Division , ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute
- Head , Temasek History Research Centre
- Head , Archaeology Unit
- Regional Social and Cultural Studies Programme
Christianity and culture; religiosity and identity; Chinese in CLMV countries; multiculturalism and ethnic management
Terence Chong is Director (Research Division) and Deputy Chief Executive Officer of ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute (ISEAS). He is also Head of the Temasek History Research Centre. He has a BA (First Class) in History from the University of Leeds and a PhD in Sociology from the University of Warwick.
Dr Chong’s research interests include new Chinese immigrants in CLMV countries, the middle class, and Christianity in Southeast Asia. He has published in numerous peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Contemporary Asia, Critical Asian Studies, Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, Modern Asian Studies and Asian Studies Review. He has won several research grants including the Social Science Research Thematic Grant in 2016.
Dr Chong is part of the National Heritage Board’s Heritage Advisory Panel and the National Collections Advisory Panel. He is also part of the Programme Advisory Committee at the Singapore University of Social Science.
Dr Chong was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Silver) in 2022.
- Christianity in Southeast Asia
- 2020. (ed.) Navigating Differences: Integration in Singapore. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2019 (edited with Michael Montesano and Mark Heng) After the Coup: The National Council for Peace and Order Era and the Future of Thailand. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2018 (ed.) Pentecostal Megachurches in Southeast Asia. Singapore: ISEAS
- 2013 (co-author) Different Under God: A Survey of Church-going Protestants in Singapore. ISEAS