- Regional Strategic and Political Studies Programme
Southeast Asia's relations with the major powers; Maritime security including the South China Sea dispute and piracy/sea robbery in Southeast Asia; Defence modernisation in Southeast Asia; The defence diplomacy of the major powers in Southeast Asia
Dr Ian Storey is Senior Fellow and co-editor of Contemporary Southeast Asia, one of ISEAS’s three academic journals. He specialises in defence and security issues in Southeast Asia and the region’s relations with the major powers. Prior to joining ISEAS, he was Associate Professor at the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Honolulu, Hawaii and Assistant Professor at Deakin University, Australia. He obtained his PhD from the City University of Hong Kong (2001), Master’s Degree from the International University of Japan (1995) and Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) from the University of Hull, England (1991).
Russia’s relations with Southeast Asia.
- “A Strategic Reset? The Philippines-United States Alliance under President Marcos”, (With Aries Arugay), ISEAS Perspective No. 20 (15 May 2023).
- “The AUKUS Announcement and Southeast Asia: An Assessment of Regional Responses and Concerns” (with William Choong), ISEAS Perspective No. 23 (29 March 2023)
- “Will Putin Visit Vietnam After Biden? Odds Are Against It”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 14 August 2023.
- “Code of Conduct for the South China Sea: Movement in lieu of Progress”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 20 July 2023.
- “Post-election, Thailand’s Next Generation Face Difficult Military Procurement Decisions”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 1 June 2023 (with Tita Sanglee)
- “Why is the U.S.-Thai Alliance Treading Water?”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 3 April 2023.
- “BrahMos Supersonic Missiles: Poised to Buoy New Delhi’s Arms Exports?”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 16 February 2023.
- “Cambodia should spearhead the push against cluster bombs”, Straits Times, 17 July 2023.
- “The Aukus balancing act in Southeast Asia”, Straits Times, 17 April 2023 (with William Choong)
- “Setbacks for Moscow, Progress for Kyiv: The Russia-Ukraine War and its Impact on the ASEAN, G20 and APEC Summits”, ISEAS Perspective (28 November 2022)
- “Piracy and the Pandemic: Maritime Crime in Southeast Asia, 2020-2022” ISEAS Perspective (2 August 2022)
- “The Russia-Ukraine War and its Potential Impact on Russian Arms Sales to Southeast Asia”, ISEAS Perspective No. 47 (5 May 2022)
- “Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine:Southeast Asian Responses and Why it Matters to the Region” (with William Choong), ISEAS Perspective No. 24 (9 March 2022).
- “The Biden Administration and Southeast Asia: One Year in Review” (with Hoang Thi Ha), ISEAS Perspective, No. 11 (11 February 2022).
- “When Abstention Speaks Volumes: Thailand’s Turnaround in the UNGA”, 14 October 2022.
- “Myanmar and Russia: Vladivostok Meeting Signals a Tighter Embrace”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 13 September 2022.
- “Will the Thai Military Ever Get its Submarines and Fighters?”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 23 August 2022.
- “Jokowi’s “Peace Mission” to Europe: Well-intentioned but Fruitless”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 8 July 2022.
- “The War in Ukraine: Cambodia’s Surprisingly Hard-line Stance”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 25 May 2022.
- “Thailand and the Russia-Ukraine War: Bending or Gone with the Wind?”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 24 March 2022.
- “Will America Greenlight the Sale of F-35s to Thailand?”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 14 January 2022.
- “Indonesia’s South China Sea Confab: When Chin-wagging Counts”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 13 January 2022.
- “Myanmar’s Submarines: The Race is on Between China and Russia”, ISEAS Fulcrum, 4 January 2022.