ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute is a regional research centre dedicated to the study of socio-political, security and economic trends and developments in Southeast Asia and its wider geostrategic and economic environment.
For current career opportunities in ISEAS, please visit Careers@Gov.
For job application enquiries, please contact ISEAS HR at HR@iseas.edu.sg.
Visiting Fellowships (10-month contract)
The Temasek History Research Centre (THRC) is dedicated to the historical and archaeological investigation of Singapore and its relationship with the immediate region from the 12th to the 19th century. The Centre’s interest spans the decline of the Sriwijaya empire, when Temasek emerged, to cover the Majapahit empire onwards, as well as Singapore’s relations with the Malacca Sultanate and the later Johor Sultanate.
● Submit a full-length academic paper based on research conducted;
● Give one Public Webinar at ISEAS;
● Assist THRC in media engagements and the organisation of conferences and seminars;
● Contribute to ISEAS collective research and public outreach efforts;
● Convert research content into teaching resource materials.
Research proposals should be original, and history or archaeology focused. They may include, but are not restricted to, themes such as:
● Singapore’s premodern role as a maritime trading port or centre;
● The island’s premodern economy, culture, and society, and its links to the region;
● Understanding Temasek as a political and cultural entity;
● Singapore’s premodern relationship and engagement with political entities in the immediate region.
This Visiting Fellowship is intended for post doctorate researchers, associate professors and full professors with demonstrated high-level research experience in their areas of expertise. Applicants should have an excellent track record of conducting and publishing scientific research and establishing international networks.
Candidates should be fluent in written and spoken English.
Fellowship Benefits include:
● A highly competitive monthly (all-inclusive) stipend commensurate with his/her rank and experience;
● Short-term fieldwork allowance;
● A round-trip economy airfare between the home country of the researcher and Singapore (applicable to non-Singaporeans only).
Applications should include a cover letter, a full CV, two reference letters, and a research proposal of not more than five pages (double spaced). The proposal should discuss the topic to be examined, plans for any fieldwork and duration, projected timeline of research, and output. The preferred period for the fellowship should also be indicated.
Remuneration and benefits depend on the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
To apply, please click here
Closing Date for Application: 30 June 2021
Shortlisted applicants will be notified within 4 weeks of the closing date of this job posting. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.