The start of the surveys was witnessed by Second Minister for National Development and Minister for Social and Family Development, Mr Desmond Lee who visited the World War II gun emplacement of the Ubin Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) battery which is located within Camp Resilience (National Police Cadet Corps Campsite) today.
Part of Pulau Ubin’s rustic charm lies in the island’s rich cultural heritage. However, much is still unknown about the island’s history despite there being a number of abandoned historical sites dating to the 1800s.The findings from these archaeological surveys led by Lim Chen Sian, Associate Fellow of ISEAS, will shed light on Singapore’s trade, economic and military history, which will in turn contribute to archaeological and historic research of Singapore and the region. In addition, the information will also be incorporated into educational posters and presentations as part of efforts to strengthen awareness about Pulau Ubin’s cultural and natural heritage.
The surveys will be split into three phases, with the initial phase to be carried out at the No 2. gun emplacement site. The fieldwork for this research will entail transect surveys to identify, map and record heritage features as well as basic sampling such as surface collections. Subsurface probes may also be utilised to conduct analysis in areas where there
is a high probability of buried archaeological remains. Depending on the findings from the first phase, subsequent archaeological surveys by ISEAS may be conducted at the same areas or at the western part of Pulau Ubin.
Media Release: In-depth Archaeological Survey Begins on Pulau Ubin at World War II Site
- Archaeology, 26 December 2017 - Singapore’s World War II–Era Fortifications Explored
- Mothership.sg, 23 December 2017 - Archeology survey starts on Pulau Ubin. Here are 4 other S’pore archeology sites you should know about
- Berita Harian, 23 December 2017 - Kajian arkeologi mendalam akan dijalankan di Pulau Ubin
- Lianhe Zaobao, 23 December 2017 - 火炮掩体未发现作战痕迹 公园局探讨开放乌敏岛二战炮台遗址 (Article in Chinese: No signs of battle at gun emplacement site, NParks considering opening the site to public)
- Lianhe Zaobao, 23 December 2017 - 乌敏岛 二战炮台遗址 重见天日 (Article in Chinese: World War 2 gun emplacement site revealed)
- The Straits Times, 23 December 2017 - In-depth survey may unearth Ubin's mystery
- The Straits Times, 23 December 2017 - First major archaeological survey of Pulau Ubin
- Singapore Tonight, 22 December 2017 - Archaeological survey on Ubin, First In-depth Study on the Island (Time 8:15)
- Today, 22 December 2017 - First in-depth archaeological study on Pulau Ubin begins
- The Straits Times, 22 December 2017 - First in-depth archaeological survey to be done in Pulau Ubin
- Channel Newsasia, 22 December 2017 - Singapore begins first detailed archaeological surveys on Pulau Ubin
- Lianhe Zaobao, 22 December 2017 - 乌敏岛二战炮台遗迹考古工作今起展开 (Article in Chinese: Start of archaeological work on World War 2 gun emplacement site on Pulau Ubin.)
- Channel 8 News, 22 December 2017 - 乌敏岛将展开历来第一个深入考古调查 (News in Chinese: First in-depth surveys on Pulau Ubin)