Group photo after the launch of the Temasek History Research Centre. From left to right – Mr Choi Shing Kwok, Director of ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute; Guest of Honour, Professor Wang Gungwu, Chairman of Board of Trustees, ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute; Mr Lim Hock Chuan, Chief Executive, Temasek Foundation Connects, and Dr Terence Chong, Head, Temasek History Research Centre & Deputy Director, ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute (Credit: ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute)
The Temasek History Research Centre (THRC) was established at ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute in 2019, also Singapore’s Bicentennial Year. Fittingly, the new centre will focus on Singapore’s premodern history, its economic and socio-cultural links to the region, as well as its historic role as a trading centre. Towards this focus, the centre will pursue historical research from the 14th to the 19th century, from the emergence of Temasek to cover the Majapahit Empire which included present-day Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, southern Thailand, Philippines and East Timor. A key complementary aspect of the Centre’s work will focus on strengthening the understanding and interest of young Singaporeans in Singapore’s history and its connections to the region.
The Centre has three main programmes:
1. The Singapore and the Region Programme (SRP)
Research that will bring intellectual leadership to the issue of national identity and heritage. The findings will be converted, where possible, into resource teaching material for local schools.
2. The Southeast Asian Heritage Programme (SEAHP)
This is an annual archaeology and art history field school for Singaporean students in a Southeast Asian country. Students from all disciplines are welcome to apply.
3. The Archaeology Programme for Students (APS)
A community engagement programme with short attachment for Singaporean students to the Archaeology Unit and Teachers’ Workshops to “train the trainers”.
These programmes are generously funded by Temasek Foundation for a period of 3 years, starting from July 2019.
Related documents for download:-
1. Media Release
2. Welcome Remarks by ISEAS Director, Mr Choi Shing Kwok
3. Overview by ISEAS Deputy Director and Head, Temasek History Research Centre Dr Terence Chong
In the News:-
1. Lianhe Zaobao, 3 August 2019 - 聚焦新加坡近代史 淡马锡历史研究中心开幕
2. Singapore Tonight, 2 August 2019 - Launch of Temasek History Research Centre
3. The Straits Times, 2 August 2019 - New research centre to focus on Singapore's pre-modern history