- Temasek History Research Centre
Singapore Studies, Chinese ceramic, Maritime trade, Chinese shipwreck
Tai Yew Seng is Visiting Fellow of Temasek History Research Centre. He has extensive experience conducting research and teaching about medieval Chinese history, pan-Asian maritime trade, and material culture production and consumption. He is particularly interested in early modern interactions between China and the major trading polities in Southeast Asia and current research is about early history of Singapore. He was a Research Fellow in EOS, NTU, and conducted research on environmental stress upon trading settlements along the Maritime Silk Road. This work has already resulted in a number of important publications, including recent papers in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science and Archaeological Research in Asia.
- Pre-modern Singapore
- Maritime trade
- Chinese shipwreck
- Chinese ceramic
- Tai Yew Seng, Patrick Daly, E. Edwards McKinnon, Andrew Parnell, R. Michael Feener, Jedrzej Majewski, Nazli Ismail and Kerry Sieh, “The impact of Ming and Qing dynasty maritime bans on trade ceramics recovered from coastal settlements in northern Sumatra, Indonesia.” Archaeological Research in Asia, 2020, 21, pp. 1-18. https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S2352226719300340; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352226719300340
- Patrick Daly, E. Edward McKinnon, R. Michael Feener, Tai Yew Seng, Ardiansyah, Andrew Parnell, Nizamuddin, Nazli Ismail, Kerry Sieh and Jedrzej Majewski, “The Historic Trading Port of Lamri on the North Sumatran Coast”. Bulletin de l’École française d’Extrême-Orient
- Patrick Daly, Kerry Sieh, Tai Yew Seng, Edmund Edwards McKinnon, Andrew C. Parnell, Ardiansyah, R. Michael Feener, Nazli Ismail, Nizamuddin, and Jedrzej Majewski, “Archaeological Evident that a Late 14th-century Tsunami Devastated the Coast of Northern Sumatra and Redirected History.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 28 May 2019, 116 (22), 10599-10602; https://doi.org/10.101073/pnas.1902241116; https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/05/24/1902241116
- Michael Flecker and Tai Yew Seng. Flyingfish Wreck. Kuala Lumpur: Five Dynasty, 2019.