- The South China Sea Dispute.
- Maritime Security in Southeast Asia.
- Japan’s strategic and commercial rebalancing towards Southeast Asia.
- China’s economic interactions with Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand and Myanmar, and their strategic and political implications.
- China’s Defense Diplomacy in Southeast Asia.
- The evolution of ASEAN-based Asia-Pacific regional institutions and their ability to foster security cooperation with a particular focus on the East Asia Summit.
- The roles and interests of Singapore and other Asian countries in the Arctic.
Southeast Asia, Politics and Related issues:
- Political and economic reforms
- The role of the military in the present structure of the Myanmar state, in particular military-civil relations
- Myanmar - USA Relations
- Myanmar - China Relations
- Myanmar - India Relations
- Myanmar in ASEAN: Preparing for the Chairmanship of ASEAN
- Vietnam's political economy, political development and decision making mechanisms.
- Vietnam's foreign policy especially relations with China, USA and the ASEAN.
- The intersections of Vietnamese politics, society and environment, specifically the controversy over bauxite mining in the Central Highlands of Vietnam.
Foreign investments in natural resource extraction in Vietnam and its political economy implications.
- Political developments in Thailand
- Regionalism in Thailand
Insurgency in Southern Thailand.
Indonesia's foreign policy.
- Indonesia's foreign policy.
- The ongoing peace process in Muslim Mindanao and the prospects for a political solution to the Moro Islamic insurgency.